Thursday, 24 February 2011

Why Spend Money on Toys?

Today Malachi and I made a transformer dress up out of our recycling. He was real keen at first, all the cutting and sticking, but when it was time to put the costume on so he could play, he was not interested. I was upset and declared, "Here I am wasting time on this and he doesn't want to even touch it, Malachi I think you need a nap" (Grumpy Daddy said to Mummy and Chini) so grumpy Dad went outside to clean the garden meanwhile I could hear Master Chini sobbing.


It was a few moments later when I heard laughter. Malachi was hysterical. As I walked back inside, I saw Malachi running around a corner then hid behind a pillow fortress, made by the lounge cushions (my pet hate), my blood was boiling as I have told Malachi a million times not to play with or on the couch, plus the fact that I had made him a costume which he wasn't interested in. Before I could open my mouth, Mummy came out of the corner, She was aiming the cardboard gun which Malachi and I made while wearing the entire costume (Mummy was even doing gun noises, which is funny in itself as the noise sounded like a snake choking on it's pray). My frown was turned upside down. Mummy saw me and stopped. Master Malachi asked to put on the costume and wore it for the better half of the morning.



Vienna saw that Malachi was happy whilst he was making the costume with me, and she knew that I had stuff to do around the house and this may have been the most attention he would have had from me, and that his attitude made it less likely that I would rush at an endeavor like this any time soon, so she made the peace. I guess what I am trying to say is that Vienna knows us both. She knew how I felt went Malachi wasn't cooperating, and she knew that Malachi only wanted attention.

So the moral of the story is, listen to your wife (she may know a thing or two more about your kids than you do) and all kids want is to spend time with you. After a game of robots Malachi was glue to my side for the remainder of our very productive day. We cleaned the garden, feed the piggies, played with the dogs, organised the shed, hung some laundry and folded it, played with water, picked tomatoes, cooked lunch for every one (Spanish omelet), visited our friends, read our scriptures and other books and loved Mummy as much as we could. A little patience and a lot of love makes for a truly enjoyable day!

1 comment:

Jony and Scarlett said...

I saw this post ages ago but was busy at the time...
He does have a great imagination! I think as we get older some of us lose it but not you and Ricki, you seem to have more than enough creativity for all your kids and their cakes, costumes, games etc.
You guys are so good that way, I love to see all that you do for your kids and all that you give them and let them do to expand their already big imaginations despite the mess. we are just getting into messy craft and it does take patience and constant attention!