Friday, 19 March 2010

Easter treats



Today, I/we tried our hands at decorating cookies with royal icing. So easy, so much fun!



While researching technique on the web, I discovered many wonderful talented individuals whose cookies were little works of art... my lines are a little messy and my dots are not even, but I'll be decorating cookies again!



Okay, you may notice that, I CHEATED. These are not the delicate sugar cookies I had intended to bake they are milk arrowroot's. But in my defense I could not find a plain egg cookie cutter in any of my local shops and was just too busy to do the run around.



This was such a fun activity for the kids and Adalia could no wait to get her hands on our make shift piping bags.



Adalia has just started writing her name on her artwork at pre school without prompting. Trouble is she nearly always forgets the "d". So her first exercise was to write her name on separate biscuits and we jumbled and un-jumbled her names many times. I think she was really neat for a four year old piping! (Notice the baby or lower case a.)

Malachi did the piles of scribble, I love it!

4 comments:

Jony and Scarlett said...

Very cute! I can't believe you made so many... Kids look like they had fun! I'm going to miss you when we are gone!!! Not because you make cute easter cookies, but life will definately be different without you and your family close!
Love you guys xoxo

Nikki said...

I feel very bad for stalking your blog but I saw your photo of the easter biscuits from the link on Lisa King's blog and thought it looked cool. I'm from Tassie and I serve in primary. We are about to have a primary easter activity and the kids would absolutely LOVE this. Can I please copy your idea??
Sorry to stalk but I thought that if I'd stalked I should comment. :)

Vienna and Ricky said...

Feel free... it is really easy, if you or someone else coats the bases in icing earlier the kids can all decorate (to save time and some mess). I got most of my info from a tutorial found here; http://annies-eats.com/2009/12/04/how-to-decorate-with-royal-icing/. Have fun.

Nikki said...

Great! Thanks so much for the link! :)